Why Can't Rowling's Potter Universe Ever Come to India

Hiya Folks!

Now I know some of you keep asking me to post something everyday. And I hope (sincerely) that it happens. (Very soon)

Anyway, I experienced this eye-opening enlightened moment of truth that is the inspiration of today's post : About the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Rowling made this epic series that supported me through a whole decade. There used to be a time where I could quote Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows word for word. (Those were the days kid.... Those were the days)

I always used to dream about somehow getting that coveted letter (Haven't we all?) and getting carted off to Hogwarts, where I would be amazing at Charms and Potions. But that sadly wasn't going to happen. And then there's the matter of all random occurrences like someone disapparating. Or a levitating car (bullock cart perhaps?). None of these things seemed plausible where I lived.

And then yesterday, there I was feeling cold (There is a rather long & boring explanation for this, which I would rather not launch into right now), - anyway, I was feeling cold & wore this nice, rather long coat that looks something like a cloak (a loose trench coat, if you will). I am awfully proud of this find, and I strut about in it whenever I have the chance. Sadly so far those chances were restricted to within college campus or inside my house. Here was a good opportunity then, to show off to the world! I had to buy some groceries (yes, we still go out to buy them, and yes, I did try suggesting that we order them online)

So I walked out, head bent, wishing I could put on the hood and be completely hidden from the world. I was growing into the feeling of the magical events that would be afoot. And then it came - a dog began barking and growling at me. Now this infernal four-legged creature has often see me walk past it, to go out. It should have gotten used to me by now. It should have atleast realized that I smelled like a human even if I did have a long oversized thing over my shoulders. But nooooooooooo, it decided to jog after me , growling and giving short barks. This made the other dogs in the vicinity curious about the weird creature that was getting barked at - and so they all began barking. Some of them weren't even bothered about getting up from their places, they just began barking where they sat.

I screamed (this is my first reaction to all animals and insects that run , fly or swim towards me) and thankfully my mom tried shooing them away. Then I had to remove the damned coat right there and carry it with me the rest of the way. (Yay.)

Such occurrences made me realize, that you could never find people wearing long cloaks in India. The dogs would be constantly vigilant. You could never disapparate in the vicinity of a few people, because people will try filming you and you might actually drag an innocent muggle to where-ever it was you were off to. You could never have a magical house in the middle of nowhere because the people around you are so snoopy, that you would have to obliviate them like every day. Plus the middle of nowhere is impossible - there are a lot of people around. You wouldn't be able to carry a wand with you because wands can't be hidden up your sleeves (they are too short, and its always hot here). And you couldn't proclaim yourself a witch or wizard, because here they don't burn witches, they stone them, and they beat 'em up. Not sure what spell would come in handy for those sort of things.

This also explains why I wasn't given a letter to Hogwarts. Or any Indian magic school. I didn't write any entrance exam for it. Huh. Should have thought of that when I was 11.

Anyway, that's all for now. Do let me know what you think.

Until then,
DragonRider

Comments

Awesome read to dispel the boredom of a vacation weekday:D
Chella said…
Why can't you have a magical house? 12 Grimmauld place was smack in the middle of a muggle neighbourhood. All you need is the fidelius charm :P Also when people are pelting stones at you, you could use a variety of spells from Stupefy (if you are in a good mood) to Avada Kedavra (if.. you know what :P)
Dragon Rider said…
@Whispers - Sorry I couldn't write more :(
@Chella - Yeah and it's a "non crowded muggle neighborhood". Also befuddling your neighbors everytime they see you apparate doesn't seem like a nice thing to do. And in India you never know who might be watching. Also I feel like Indian magicians wouldn't rely on wands to do magic, they would probably chant up a storm or something. And sure when people pelt stones at you, you could stupefy them. But would that work when the first thing they do is grab your wand (if there was any) and break it in half? Again, too many people in the equation. Even a small detail overlooked could result in you dead. Unless you were Credence with a useful Obscurus that could actually kill people who hurt you.

Popular Posts